The joint stock company Port of Gdynia Authority S.A. established in 2000 is a universal port, specializing in handling general cargo, mainly unitised, transported in containers and in the ro-ro system (a modern terminal with a two-level ramp for handling the largest units of ro-pax type). Invariably one of the most important sea centres in the southern Baltic and a recognized brand in the transportation and logistics systems all over the world. In 2022 it is going to celebrate its centenary.
Container handling is the domain of the two terminals located in the western part of the port: Baltic Container Terminal (ICTSI corporation) and Gdynia Container Terminal (Hutchison Port Holdings). It is also dedicated to the development of intermodal and logistic functions. The basic assumption of the port development strategy is to transform it from a feeder port into a container hub and ocean port.
A significant segment of its operation is handling bulk cargoes with the use of specialist terminals. Grains and fodders are handled at the Maritime Bulk Terminal, Baltic Grain Terminal and the OT Port Gdynia Terminal.
Port of Gdynia is a transport node of the TEN-T core network (the Baltic-Adriatic Corridor). The natural extension of the corridor towards Scandinavia is the Gdynia-Karlskrona Sea Motorway joining Gdynia with Sweden. The connection operator is Stena Line.
• management of real estate and port infrastructure
• forecasting and planning port development
• construction, expansion, maintenance and modernisation of port infrastructure
• acquisition of real estate for port developments
• services related to the use of the port infrastructure
• provision of access to ship waste reception facilities enabling recovery or disposal
• protection of the natural environment and provision of high international standards in the areas of ship, cargo and passenger security
• adjust the quality of port infrastructure to the ever-growing market demands
The most important investments carried out by the Port of Gdynia Authority S.A. are:
1. Project “Dredging of the Approach Fairway and Inner Port Water Areas at the Port of Gdynia – stages I & III and Redevelopment of Quays at the Port of Gdynia – stages II & III.”
2. Project “Construction of the Public Ferry Terminal at the Polish Quay of the Port of Gdynia”.
3. Project “Construction of the Intermodal Infrastructure within the Logistic Centre of the Port of Gdynia”.
4. Project “External Port” is in progress – the central part of the External Port is to be a container terminal with the possibility of handling cargo up to 2 mln TEU in the first variant. The External Port will have a deep-water operational quay meeting the needs of container terminals. It is assumed that container ships of up to 30 thousand TEU capacity (490 meters long and 72 meters wide) will be handled at the External Port. Vessels of draught up to 16 meters will be able to call at the port.
If you want to be informed about map actualization subscribe to our newsletter